An Inordinate Mind

Modern day philosopher Anthony J. Topper ponders the nature of the universe.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Idealism Can Hold Us Back

Idealism is stressing me out. Perhaps my perfectionism is keeping me from getting anywhere. Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move forward. I know this but applying it can be a real problem for me.

Being ideal at work
Increasingly doing a good job at work is stressing me out. I feel the ideal way of doing things is immured by my authority, my diminutive wage lowering my motivation, and the tools with which I have to work. Doing a good job with this stuff is definitely not taking the path of least resistance. Since I don't like complaining about my job on here I'll leave it at that.

Idealism and the ladies
In my personal life I find myself searching for an ideal women to make my girlfriend. In the meantime I have managed to hurt myself and hurt others as well. Part of me says wait it out and be alone until you find someone you are sure about. Another part of me says I should learn to better deal with people's faults. I imagine what I need to be happy is hidden somewhere in between.

Perfectionism and my music
One of the things that has kept me from accomplishing much with writing music is my desire for things to be too good. Rather than write a crappy song and learn from the experience I just get so far and lose interest because it's not good enough.

Allowing tools to hinder motivation in Photography
I keep getting discouraged in my photography because my camera just doesn't cut it in certain applications. However, I think that the best thing for me to do is grin and bear it. I need to learn to work with what I have rather some thinking some shiny new thing will allow me to achieve some new level in my work.