An Inordinate Mind

Modern day philosopher Anthony J. Topper ponders the nature of the universe.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Amorously Preoccupied

Matters of the heart have been weighing on me lately, distracting me more than usual. I'm outside my comfort zone, but I think that's where the most can be learned. I mention this because it's put me into a state of self reflection.

Just as I am becoming comfortable someone comes along and affects me just enough to throw me off. It's like when you don't realize how hungry you are until you eat something.

One thing I've become good at is not being afraid of what may happen. Being outside your comfort zone is often a precedent to being afraid. I know that out of fear people can sabotage their own happiness.

To remove fear is to find insight and broader perspective. Finding insight involves confronting internal feelings, such as fear, not running from them. Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote "Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain."

Through reflection we grow as people. When you stop questioning yourself you have no hope of becoming a better person.

I question myself alot. To the point where I am indecisive. That's a problem to though. Something I need to get better at is making decisions and know once I make a decision it's ok to question it, and it's ok to change. Change is good, right? This is often better than making no decision at all.

I guess this post is one-part sharing, one-part advice, one-part rambling.
This goes well with the theme of this post so I leave you with it. Thanks for reading.

“There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.”
1 John 4:18