An Inordinate Mind

Modern day philosopher Anthony J. Topper ponders the nature of the universe.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The E-mail that Never Gets Sent

I don't know how many of you do this, but I occasionally find myself writing e-mails that I never send.

Many times I just vent on the keyboard to satisfy some kind of build-up that I need to expel. Everything from personal relationships to people at work pissing me off. Other than expelling emotional build-ups I find this helpful with organizing my thoughts on a matter that might be bugging me.

Every once in a while one of these messages will be organized and refined to the point where I will actually send it. Most often after I have expelled everything and then trimmed and edited parts that flame someone too much.

Over my life I'd like to think I've become a pretty understanding person. One thing I find myself thinking about when I get upset about something someone has done is where do you draw the line. The line I am speaking of is the line between being understanding while at the same time not coming across as condoning or accepting.

This line can be so dubious and vague that often people do not see it clearly and they misunderstand you unless you come across forcefully or bluntly. However, many of my relationships with people aren't developed to the point were being blunt or forceful will work.